First, I am feeling way better than I have all week. Very glad to have this bug over with. Watched a lot of good football while I worked this weekend, but my Packers lost. Better luck next year I suppose.
Made a little bit of progress on the mallet head. I marked off the handle location and drilled a pilot hole.
The wood coming out of this hole was so wet, which I figured it would be. Going to give it a day or so before I begin chopping the remainder. Used my table top drill press to make the hole. Still haven’t gotten my drill driver fixed or been able to get a brace. But not for lack of trying. Since Christmas, I’ve tried to purchase a brace online twice with no luck. So today I ordered a cordless drill via Lowes. It should be here later in the week and I’ll give a full report next weekend.
I made quite a bit of progress on the cutting board today, ready for glue up tomorrow. The 2 boards were the same thickness, but not the same width. Using a divider and a little trial and error, I marked off each piece into 4 strips and then ripped them out on the band saw. I squared these cuts with my plane and a marking gage. And I was impressed with the fit I could get between each strip. They all passed the light gap test with flying colors.
I’ll rotate the strips 90° and glue them side by side to give a flat surface with end grain. It may be hard to visualize now, but once you see it, it’s fairly easy and an elegant way to accomplish the goal.
Have a great Mon. Be safe and check back soon.