Cutting board…cambered plane iron…mallet for Kate…

WOW! I can’t believe its Sun afternoon already. This week has flown by. It’s been busy at my job and home. But I did manage to get a little wood working in.

After the first glue up, I realized I should have an equal number of pine and walnut pieces. Once that was corrected I cut strips perpendicular their length and glued again.

20140112-123701.jpg I made these cuts on a table saw without a fence. I was able to plane everything even, but it would be a lot easier to finish if the cuts were straight. I didn’t have any linseed oil so I used vegetable oil. It looks alright too! My sister in law liked it. It was a fun easy project and I learned some things too

Lately, I’ve been reading the re-release of Joe Moxon’s The Art of Joinery published by The Schwarz. Moxon talks about using a cambered iron on the fore plane and Chris does too in The Anarchist’s Toolchest. I figured they might be on to something so I set about clambering an extra iron for my 5.5. After a few minutes on the grinder and my angle jig, I realized this approach wouldn’t work. I would end up with a straight edge. So I carefully ground a primary bevel in an across the blade. I started in the middle and worked left and then right in alternating strokes until I had a nice radius. Then I moved to my sand paper to hone and polish. I used the same process, start in the middle and work left and right, all by free hand. In the past I’ve not had much luck with a free hand method, but a year of sharpening plane irons and chisels has taught me a lot. I ended up with a nice edge and boy does it hog off the wood! Opening the mouth of my 5.5 really supports the advantage of a cambered blade.

20140112-130206.jpg I’m going to use this blade for a while and if the edge won’t last I’ll get an A2 blade.

The mallet for my daughter was a straight forward finish. Chopped the square hole, trimmed the handle to final dimension, made a wedge, and drove the handle in. The handle went in very easily and the wedge closed the gaps at the top. A generous coat of glue on the handle before it went in the head insured that the head will stay on. I then sanded everything with 320 and applied a coat of polish. Not so happy with the look of it. I think I’ll apply some linseed oil.

20140112-131242.jpg

20140112-131326.jpg

20140112-131722.jpg That’s all I have for today. Next up is another step stool. Bought a 1x6x8′ S4 poplar board yesterday and I’m going to see if I can make one that’s a little more presentable. Next week I’ll talk about some of the new to me tools that I’ve gotten: Disston No. 12 crosscut, Craftsman 10″ brace, and Lie-Nielsen 1/2″ chisel. Enjoy the remainder of the weekend and be safe.
-Charlie

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s